Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour
Mid-May to August
Van Scoy Lakes Tour Suggested Time: 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Self-Drive Guided Birding Tour
Estimated Driving Distance: 160 km
PUBLIC WASHROOMS: Located in the Perdue campground or gas station.
VAN SCOY LAKES TOUR DESCRIPTION
Following a 30 minute highway drive from Saskatoon, we will take a series of back roads through grassland and pond habitat where we can stop and listen for prairie birds which might include Swainson's Hawk, Western Kingbird, Loggerhead Shrike, Pied-billed Grebe, Western Meadowlark, Sprague's Pipit, Baird's Sparrow and Long-billed Curlew. At our crossing over Eagle Creek, we should find Bank and Cliff Swallows and possibly a Belted Kingfisher or Great Blue Heron.
Later, we will drive a loop stopping at various points along the shores of the Van Scoy Lakes watching for numerous species of ducks, grebes, marsh birds and shorebirds. Our waterbird list should include Horned and Eared Grebes, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Canvasback, Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead and Ruddy Duck. Black Terns, Ring-billed and Franklin's Gulls are normally found flying over the lakes. Breeding shorebirds should include American Avocet, Willet, Killdeer, Wilson's Snipe, Spotted Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalarope.
In marsh habitat near the shores of Van Scoy Lakes, we may find Marsh Wrens, Common Yellowthroats, Red-winged and Yellow-headed Blackbirds. We will watch the shrubs near these Van Scoy lakes for Clay-colored and Song Sparrows plus Brown Thrashers and Gray Catbirds.
During the months of May, July and August, we could find a variety of migrating arctic-nesting shorebirds visiting Van Scoy Lakes including Least, Semipalmated, Baird's, Pectoral, Solitary and Stilt Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs plus Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers and dowitchers. Rare nesting Black-necked Stilts and Sandhill Cranes are sometimes found.
During our final lunch stop in a town park, we may find Warbling Vireo, House Wren, Yellow Warbler, Baltimore Oriole, Purple Martin and Eurasian Collared-Doves. You can bring a lunch or pick up some food at the local Co-op store.
Join us for this leisurely driving tour. Great for a family outing. Both novice and experienced birders are welcome. If requested, a pair of binoculars may be borrowed during tour.
During this Van Scoy Lakes birding tour, your leader will identify the birds and set up a spotting scope allowing you to get the best view of the birds.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will normally drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle.
VAN SCOY LAKES BIRDING TOUR FEE
Private Escorted Tour Fee: $490 for family groups of 1 to 5 persons on the day of your choice. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 6-hour tour. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
SAVE $50 if you have room to transport leader during tour from Saskatoon and back.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour provided payment is made by e-transfer to LSWR@sasktel.net.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 14 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 14 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
RESERVATIONS FOR VAN SCOY LAKES TOUR
RESERVATIONS: Submit the form below or send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not hear back from us within 24 hours.
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
WHAT TO BRING
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain coat, hat, walking shoes, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera or spotting scope (optional)
- Ensure your vehicle has a full gas tank
This Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour may be taken in conjunction with any of the following summer birding tours.
- Saskatchewan Birding Hotspots Tour Series
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours from $195
- Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour - 2 hours
- Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Hiking Tour
- Donna Birkmaier and Hyde Parks Birding and Walking Tour
- Eagle Creek and Hills Birding Tour
- Goose Lake Birding and Bird Photography Tour
- Last Mountain Lake Birding Tour
- Pike Lake Birding Tour
- Porter Lake Birding Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour - 4 hours $295
- Quill Lakes Birding Tour
- Songbird Stroll
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Duck Mountain Park Group Birding Tour
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Park Group Birding Tour
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour - July 3 - 5
- Warbler Walking Tour
- Weir Birding and Walking Tour
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
MULTIPLE TOURS DISCOUNT
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE NOW
This Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour makes an excellent birthday gift, anniversary gift, graduation gift, Mother's Day gift, Faher's Day gift, retirement gift or special gift for a birder, birdwatcher or anyone interested in nature.
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
Proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity.