Table of Contents
Explore the Birds of Chief Whitecap Park
Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Hiking Tour
Private Tours: May - mid-September: 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Public Group Tours
Group Tours: 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
- Wed. May 22, 2024
- Fri. May 31, 2024
- Wed. June 26, 2024
Chief Whitecap Park North Parking Lot
Corman Park No. 344, SK S0K 1V0
CLICK HERE for google map.
Advance Registration Required
Return Driving Distance from Saskatoon: 20 km
Chief Whitecap Park Birding Tour Description
Enjoy a 3-hour guided birding hike through the bird-rich moist woodland habitat of Chief Whitecap Park near Saskatoon, Canada. Novice and experienced bird watchers are welcome.
Your expert guide will identify the field marks of the wide variety of nesting and migratory songbirds.
A pair of binoculars may be borrowed during this tour.
In late spring and summer months, some of the nesting songbirds that we should find in the woodlands of Chief Whitecap Park include Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Least Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Warbling and Red-eyed Vireos, House Wren, White-breasted Nuthatch, Veery, Clay-colored, Vesper, Song and Savannah Sparrows, American Redstarts, Yellow Warblers and Baltimore Orioles.
Bird song activity peaks from mid-May through early July. At this time of year, the tour is especially useful for blind or low vision birders who wish to listen to these bird songs.
Along the riverbank, we often spot Common Merganser, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, Franklin's, California and Ring-billed Gulls, Common Tern, Purple Martin, Tree, Barn and Bank Swallows.
Some of the migrating warblers and vireos that we may find during late May and late August / early September include Black-and-white, Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Magnolia, Blackpoll, Palm and Wilson's warblers, Ovenbird and Northern Waterthrush.
This tour is great for vision limited clients who wish to listen to a rich variety of bird songs.
Participants on these tours need to drive their own personal or rented vehicle. RVs and vehicles pulling trailers are permitted on this tour. Owners of full electric vehicles should have sufficient range if their vehicle is charged up in Saskatoon.. The meeting location is close enough to Saskatoon that a taxi or uber may be used.
Chief Whitecap Park Birding Tour Fee
Private Tour Fee: A party of 1 – 4 people is charged a guiding fee of CAD $190 (about US$140, £125) for private guided birding tours at Chief Whitecap Park near Saskatoon. Advance registration required. Accommodation and transportation to this site near the south edge of Saskatoon is not included.
Public Group Tour Fee: CAD $65 per person. Advance registration required. Accommodation and transportation to this site near the south edge of Saskatoon is not included.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 30 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 30 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
Step-on Guide Service available for bus tours.
Larger group tours available on request.
RESERVATIONS for Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Walking Tour: Please complete and submit the following form or email us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Full payment due at time of booking. Payment instruction will be emailed to you after registration form is received.
All fees support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation.
If you do not hear back from us within 24 hours, then please email: email@example.com or phone 306-652-5975.
Learn about special offers and new tours.
CLICK HERE to sign up for the monthly electronic Newsletter from Saskatoon Custom Bird Tours.
Can I bring my pet dog on this tour?
Dogs are permitted on private tours provided they are kept on a leash. Dogs are not permitted on group tours.
Covid Safety Policy on Tours
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will usually drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases, if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle or drive client's vehicle.
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE
This Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Walking tour makes an excellent birthday gift, anniversary gift, graduation gift or special gift for a birder, birdwatcher or anyone interested in nature.
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Walking Tour may be combined with:
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours
- Chaplin Shorebirds Tour - 12 hours
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour - 2 hours
- Chief Whitecap Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Birding Tour
- Custom Bird Photography Tour - 3 hours
- Donna Birkmaier and Hyde Parks Tour - 3 hours
- Duck Lake and Nisbet Forest Birding Tour - 6 hours (June - July)
- Duck Mountain Birding Tour - eastern birds
- Eagle Creek and Hills Birding Tour - 8 hours (June - July)
- Goose Lake Birding and Bird Photography Tours - 4+ hours
- Grasslands National Park Tour
- Last Mountain Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour - 8 hours
- Pike Lake Birding Tour - 4 hours (January - August)
- Porter Lake Birding Tour - 3 hours
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour - 8 hours
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour - 4 hours
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour
- Quill Lakes Birding Tour - 8 hours
- Saskatoon Evening Bird Walks - 1.5 hours
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour - 6 hours
- Weir Birding Tour - (November - August)
- Songbird Stroll
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Warbler Walking Tour - 3 hours
- Camp Wolf Willow Birding Tour
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
MULTIPLE TOURS DISCOUNT
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.
Chief Whitecap guided the early Temperance Colonists to select a settlement site, which has since developed into the City of Saskatoon. Click here for details.