Grasslands National Park Birding Tour
MAY 14 - 15, 2022
Escorted self-driving tour
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
BOOK NOW - PAY LATER
You may reserve your 2022 tour now and not pay until February 1, 2022.
Join a small group of birders on a special 2-day / 1-night Grasslands National Park Birding Tour. We will visit the best birding hotspots in the west block of this Saskatchewan park near the Montana border. We will also make stops at Saskatchewan Landing and Douglas Provincial parks. Your leader will be Stan Shadick with Saskatoon Custom Bird Tours. All proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation.
Some of the special unique birds in the region include Burrowing Owl, Ferruginous Hawk, Golden Eagle, Sprague's Pipit and many species of grassland birds. Canada's only Black-tailed Prairie Dogs occur here as well as a wild herd of bison.
See sidebar for a list of potential species. A checklist of Saskatchewan birds may be downloaded HERE.
Transportation: All participants will travel in their own personal or rented vehicle. Masks will be worn at birding stops.
Proposed Dates: May 14 - 15.
Accommodation Options. Both camping and hotel accommodation options are available. Information will be sent to registered clients.
Tentative Grasslands National Park Itinerary
Weather conditions may result in changes to this planned itinerary.
Tour departs Saskatoon at 8 am. Participants may choose to join the tour at either Rosetown or Swift Current.
Some of our planned birding stops include the following sites.
- Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
- Val Marie Reservoir Bird Sanctuary
- Overnight at a nearby hotel or motel. Campers may wish to stay in a campground.
- Eagle Butte Loop Hiking Trail and / or Two Trees Trail
- Optional late evening outing to listen for owls
We plan to bird in the park all morning and then drive back home in the afternoon. If you wish, you may plan to stay longer in the park on your own. Some planned stops include:
- Top Dogtown trail
- Frenchman River Valley
- Larson Interpretive Trail
- Little Breed Creek Prairie Dog town
- North Gillespie Road
- Douglas Provincial Park
May 14 - 15, 2022 Public Group Tour Fee: CAD $590 (about US $700) for a group of 1 - 4 persons travelling in a single vehicle.
Fee includes guiding services. Meals and accommodation and transportation are NOT included.
Trip begins in Saskatoon at 9 am on May 14 and returns about 6 pm on May 15.
Tax Receipt. You will receipt a tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $100 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 60 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 60 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
The number of participants accepted on this group tour is limited.
RESERVE NOW - PAY LATER
If you are interested in this tour, please complete the registration form below.
Payment is not required until February 1, 2022.
Questions: please email email@example.com or phone 306-652-5975.
If you do not hear back from us within 24 hours, then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 306-652-5975.
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
Some Potential Birds of Interest
- Wood Duck
- Greater Sage-Grouse (rare)
- Sharp-tailed Grouse
- Swainson's Hawk
- Ferruginous Hawk
- Golden Eagle
- Prairie Falcon (rare)
- Long-billed Curlew
- Upland Sandpiper
- Burrowing Owl
- Loggerhead Shrike
- Black-billed Magpie
- Rock Wren
- Mountain Bluebird
- Brown Thrasher
- Sprague's Pipit
- Thick-billed Longspur
- Chestnut-Collared Longspur
- Lapland Longspur
- Spotted Towhee
- Brewer's Sparrow
- Lark Sparrow
- Lark Bunting
- Baird's Sparrow
- Grasshopper Sparrow
HOW TO GET TO SASKATOON
Air: Saskatoon International Airport (YXE) is served by Air Canada, Westjet, and their partners United and Delta.
Train: Saskatoon's Train Station is served by Via Rail's Canadian train serving Toronto, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper and Vancouver.
Car: Saskatoon is located on Canada's Yellowhead cross-country highway plus 6 other major highways connecting with all cities in Canada and USA. If you drive, you do not need to rent a car for our tours.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will normally drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up. Isogel available on tours.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle.