Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
APRIL - JULY
SUGGESTED TIMES: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Self-Drive Birding Tour
Estimated Return Driving Distance: 500 km
PUBLIC WASHROOMS: located in gas stations in various towns
WHERE TO SEE PRAIRIE BIRDS IN CANADA?
PRAIRIE GRASSLANDS BIRDING TOUR DESCRIPTION
Join our experienced local birding guide for a 8 hour drive visiting the best prairie birding habitats in the Saskatoon region for seeing or hearing hard-to-find grassland birds!
Some grassland birds that might be seen or heard during the Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour include: Sharp-tailed Grouse, Swainson’s Hawk, Long-billed Curlew, Upland Sandpiper, Marbled Godwit, Sprague’s Pipit, Loggerhead Shrike, Western Kingbird, Baird’s Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow, Western Meadowlark.
Both novice and experienced bird watchers are welcome. A loaner pair of binoculars may be available if requested. The leader will bring a spotting scope to allow you to view the birds under high magnification.
Early morning departure recommended.
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain jacket, sun hat, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars, Spotting Scope and camera (optional)
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will normally drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle.
PRAIRIE GRASSLANDS BIRDING TOUR FEE
PRAIRIE GRASSLANDS BIRDING TOUR FEE: CAD $690 (about US$450) for groups of 1 – 4 persons
Fee includes guiding services during 8 hour trip. A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour.
Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included.
SAVE $140 if you can transport leader during tour from Saskatoon and back.
TAX RECEIPT. A tax receipt for 50% of the fee will be given to the person paying for the tour.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 14 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 14 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
RESERVATIONS: Send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
This Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour may be taken in conjunction with any of the following summer birding tours.
- Saskatchewan Birding Hotspots Tour Series
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours from $195
- Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour - 2 hours
- Duck Mountain Birding Tour - eastern birds
- Porter Lake Birding Tour
- Last Mountain Lake Birding Tour
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour - 4 hours $295
- Quill Lakes Birding Tour
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour - mid May - August
- Songbird Stroll
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Duck Mountain Park Group Birding Tour
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Park Group Birding Tour
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour
- Warbler Walking Tour
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
MULTIPLE TOURS DISCOUNT
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.
Proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation
HOW TO GET TO SASKATOON
Air: Saskatoon International Airport (YXE) is served by Air Canada, Westjet, and their partners United and Delta.
Train: Saskatoon's Train Station is served by Via Rail's Canadian train serving Toronto, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper and Vancouver.
Car: Saskatoon is located on Canada's Yellowhead cross-country highway plus 6 other major highways connecting with all cities in Canada and USA. If you drive, you do not need to rent a car for our tours.