Chaplin Shorebirds Tour ♿
Escorted Full Day Birding Tour
MID MAY - AUGUST
Private escorted self-drive tours offered daily
IDEAL DAY TOUR FOR RESIDENTS OR VISITORS TO
- SASKATOON (2h 30 m to Chaplin)
- REGINA (1 h 40 m to Chaplin)
- MOOSE JAW (1 h to Chaplin)
- SWIFT CURRENT (1 h to Chaplin)
- ELBOW (1 h to Chaplin)
Saskatoon starting point: 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Elbow / Douglas Park starting point: 9:30 AM - 7:30 PM
Chaplin starting point: 10:30 AM - 6:30 PM
WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO FIND SHOREBIRDS IN SASKATCHEWAN?
Chaplin Lake Important Bird Area and nearby lakes often have the greatest variety of plovers, sandpipers, dowitchers, phalaropes and other shorebirds in Saskatchewan, Canada including the endangered Piping Plover.
TOUR DESCRIPTION - Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
- Extended 12 - 14 hour Chaplin Shorebirds Tour from Saskatoon visiting best shorebird habitats in Saskatchewan at Chaplin Shorebird Reserve and 4 other nearby hotspots.
- Novice and experienced bird watchers are welcome to join this tour.
If available, you may borrow a pair of binoculars during this tour.
- A spotting scope will be available for viewing the birds from the roadside at high magnification.
- Ideal birthday, anniversary, retirement, Mother's Day, Father's Day or graduation gift for the birder in your family.
- Endangered Piping Plovers are often found here.
- Other shorebirds found on Chaplin Shorebirds Tour often include Red Knot, Sanderling, Wilson’s Phalarope, Red-necked Phalarope, American Avocet, Black-necked Stilt, Marbled Godwit, Hudsonian Godwit, Stilt Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Baird’s Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher, Lesser Yellowlegs, Willet, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer.
- Possible Grassland birds frequently found on Chaplin Shorebirds Tour include Upland Sandpiper, Long-billed Curlew, Lark Bunting, Baird’s Sparrow, Chestnut-collared Longspur, Western Meadowlark.
- This tour begins in Saskatoon but can also be joined at Elbow or Chaplin. Situated on Trans-Canada Highway 1, Chaplin serves as an ideal starting point for participants coming from Regina, Moose Jaw or Swift Current.
- ♿ This tour is ideal for low-mobility clients because they may choose to remain in their vehicle during this driving tour.
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain jacket, sun hat, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera (optional)
PUBLIC WASHROOMS: Located at Chaplin Visitor Centre, Regional Park plus at Douglas Park and at gas stations in towns of Chaplin and Morse.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full Covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will usually drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases, if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle or drive client's vehicle.
TOUR FEE - Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
Full Day Tour Fee: CA$690 (about US$525) for groups of 1 – 3 persons Taxes included.
Fee includes guiding services only for the tour. Client supplies their own transportation in personal or rented vehicle. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 30 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 60 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
All proceeds support the work of Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity. https://livingskywildliferehabilitation.org/
RESERVATIONS: Please complete and submit the form below or email your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Payment may be made by e-transfer payable to Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation and emailed to LSWR@sasktel.net
If you do not hear back from us within 24 hours, then please email: email@example.com or phone 306-652-5975.
Piping Plovers are an endangered species in Saskatchewan. They can be identified by their sandy brown back and single neck band.
Conservation measures to protect Piping Plovers include Nature Saskatchewan's Plovers on Shore program.
Tour Guide for Chaplin Shorebirds Tour: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
"Awesome experience birding with you" AP July 2022
This Chaplin Shorebirds Tour makes an excellent birthday gift, anniversary gift, graduation gift, retirement gift, Father's Day Gift or special gift for a birder, birdwatcher or anyone interested in nature.
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
Chaplin Shorebirds Tour may be combined with:
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour - 2 hours
- Chief Whitecap Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Birding Tour
- Custom Bird Photography Tour - 3 hours
- Donna Birkmaier Park Tour - 3 hours
- Duck Lake and Nisbet Forest Birding Tour - 6 hours (June - July)
- Duck Mountain Birding Tour - eastern birds
- Eagle Creek and Hills Birding Tour - 8 hours (June - July)
- Goose Lake Birding and Bird Photography Tour - 4+ hours
- Grasslands National Park Tour June 25 - 26, 2022
- Last Mountain Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour - 8 hours
- Pike Lake Birding Tour - 4 hours (January - August)
- Porter Lake Birding Tour - 3 hours
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour - 8 hours
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour - 4 hours
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour
- Quill Lakes Birding Tour - 8 hours
- Saskatoon Evening Bird Walks - 1.5 hours
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour - 6 hours
- Weir Birding Tour - (November - August)
- Songbird Stroll
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Warbler Walking Tour - 3 hours
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
MULTIPLE TOURS DISCOUNT
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.