Table of Contents
View and photograph the ducks and shorebirds at Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary
Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour
May to October
Private tours available most days.
Special Group Tour: August 22, 2023
Guided self-drive Birding Tour
Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour Suggested Times:
From Saskatoon: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
From Redberry Lake Regional Park: 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM
IDEAL DAY TOUR FOR RESIDENTS OR VISITORS TO
- North Battleford (55 m to Redberry Lake Regional Park)
- Prince Albert (1h 30m to Redberry Lake Regional Park)
Estimated Round-trip Driving Distance
Saskatoon: 230 km
North Battleford: 220 km
Prince Albert: 280 km
PUBLIC WASHROOMS: Located in the regional park.
Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour Description
Following a 90 minute highway drive from Saskatoon, we will take a series of back roads through grassland, woodland and pond habitat where we can stop and listen for prairie birds which might include Ring-necked Duck, Swainson's Hawk, Western Kingbird, Loggerhead Shrike, Mountain Bluebird, Pied-billed Grebe, Western Meadowlark, Sprague's Pipit, Vesper Sparrow and Wilson's Phalarope. At Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary, we often find American White Pelicans, White-winged Scoters, Common Terns, Red-necked Grebes. The endangered Piping Plover may nest here when shoreline habitat is suitable.
Later, we will drive around the lake stopping at various points watching for numerous species of ducks, grebes, marsh birds and shorebirds. Our waterbird list should include Horned and Eared Grebes, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Canvasback, Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead and Ruddy Duck. Black Terns, Ring-billed and Franklin's Gulls are normally found flying over the lakes. Breeding shorebirds should include American Avocet, Willet, Killdeer, Wilson's Snipe and Spotted Sandpiper.
In marsh habitat near Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary, we may find Marsh Wrens, Common Yellowthroats, Red-winged and Yellow-headed Blackbirds. We will watch the shrubs for Clay-colored and Song Sparrows plus Brown Thrashers and Gray Catbirds.
During the months of May, July and August, we could find a variety of migrating arctic-nesting shorebirds visiting Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary including Least, Semipalmated, Baird's, Pectoral, Solitary and Stilt Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs plus Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers and dowitchers. Rare nesting Black-necked Stilts and Sandhill Cranes are sometimes found.
Join us for this leisurely driving tour. Great for a family outing. Both novice and experienced birders are welcome. If requested, a pair of binoculars may be borrowed during tour.
If desired, we can hike a portion of the Millennium Point Trail in search of woodland birds.
During this Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary birding tour, your leader will identify the birds and set up a spotting scope allowing you to get the best view of the birds.
Participants on these tours need to drive their own personal or rented vehicle. RVs and vehicles pulling trailers are permitted on a private tour but not on group tours. Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary tour may be suitable for owners of full electric vehicles. Several Saskatoon hotels have EV charging stations.
If you would like to share the costs of a group tour with other interested birders, then complete the Carpooling Section of the Registration Request Form below or email the tour name, your name, phone number and email address to email@example.com
Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour Fee
Private Escorted Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour Fee: $590 (about US$430, £360) for a party of 1 to 4 persons on the day of your choice. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 8-hour tour. Meals, transportation, park entrance fee and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
SAVE $100 if you have room in your vehicle to transport leader during tour from Saskatoon and back.
August 22, 2023 Group Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour Fee: CA$390 (about US$365, £315) for a party of 1 – 4 persons in a single vehicle. Taxes included.
Fee includes guiding services only for 8 hour trip. The fee is the total amount for your party (not a per person fee). Client supplies their own transportation in personal or rented vehicle. Meals, transportation, park entrance fee and accommodation are NOT included. Your vehicle will be one of at most 6 vehicles in this group convoy.
SAVE $100. If you have space to transport leader in your personal or rented vehicle during tour from Saskatoon and back, then deduct $100 from the tour fee.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour provided payment is made by e-transfer to LSWR@sasktel.net.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 14 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 14 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
Reservations for Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour
RESERVATIONS: Submit the form below or send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
After you submit the form, we will email you payment instructions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not hear back from us within 24 hours.
Redberry Lake Birding Tour Guide
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary
Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary is recognized as an Important Bird Area in Canada. It is also recognized internationally as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
The islands and shoreline of this lake provide nesting habitat for
- American White Pelicans (1000+ pairs)
- Double-crested Cormorants
- Ring-billed and California Gulls
- White-winged Scoters (400 pairs)
- Piping Plovers have nested here when shoreline habitat is suitable
What to Bring
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain coat, hat, walking shoes, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera or spotting scope (optional)
- Ensure your vehicle has a full gas tank
Other Birding Tours
This Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour may be taken in conjunction with any of the following summer birding tours.
- Saskatchewan Birding Hotspots Tour Series
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour
- Blackstrap Lake Birding and Photography Tour
- Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour
- Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Hiking Tour
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Park Group Birding Tour
- Donna Birkmaier and Hyde Parks Birding and Walking Tour
- Duck Mountain Park Group Birding Tour
- Eagle Creek and Hills Birding Tour
- Goose Lake Birding and Bird Photography Tour
- Great Sand Hills Birding Tour
- Last Mountain Lake Birding Tour
- Pike Lake Birding Tour
- Porter Lake Birding Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour
- Quill Lakes Birding Tour
- Songbird Stroll
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Warbler Walking Tour
- Weir Birding and Walking Tour
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
Multiple Tours Discount
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.
Learn about special offers and new tours.
CLICK HERE to sign up for the monthly electronic Newsletter from Saskatoon Custom Bird Tours.
Gift Certificates Available Now
This Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour makes an excellent birthday gift, anniversary gift, graduation gift, Mother's Day gift, Father's Day gift, retirement gift or special gift for a birder, birdwatcher or anyone interested in nature.
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
Proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity.
Covid Safety Policy on Tours
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will normally drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle.