HALF Day Chickadee Feeding Tour
November through April
NOTE: We are temporarily stopping this tour until November as a precaution against transmitting Avian Influenza in the Saskatoon area.
CLICK HERE to read about alternative short tours out of Saskatoon.
Self-Drive Birding Tour
CHICKADEE FEEDING TOUR DESCRIPTION
- Let our experienced birding guide show you the best winter bird-rich locations near Saskatoon.
- Chickadees will feed out of your hand!
Sometimes nuthatches and downy woodpeckers will as well. Bag of sunflower seeds provided.
Very popular activity for kids!
- Possible birds to be seen during hikes include Ruffed Grouse, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker, Great Horned Owl, Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadee, Blue Jay, Northern Shrike, White-breasted Nuthatch, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Bohemian Waxwing, Pine Grosbeak, Evening Grosbeak, Common Redpoll, Black-billed Magpie, Common Raven.
- Good opportunities for bird photography
- In late winter, listen for their spring courtship sound.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full Covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will usually drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up. Isogel normally available on tours.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases, if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle or drive client's vehicle.
CHICKADEE FEEDING TOUR TIMES
December - February Tours: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM
March and April:
Morning Tours: 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM;
Afternoon Tours 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM.
CHICKADEE FEEDING TOUR FEE
HALF DAY PRIVATE TOUR FEE:
CAD $190 for groups of 1 – 5 persons.
Fee includes guiding services only..
The person paying for the tour may request to receive a tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee.
Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included.
Trip begins at your Saskatoon hotel or residence.
Masks to be worn during tour when outside vehicle.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 60 days before date of tour. No refunds after that date.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 60 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
CHICKADEE FEEDING TOUR RESERVATIONS
RESERVATIONS: Fill in the following form or send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
If you do not hear back from us within 24 hours, then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 306-652-5975.
CHICKADEE FEEDING TOUR GUIDE
TOUR GUIDE: Your guide has many years of experience finding and observing birds throughout Saskatchewan. For over 30 years, Stan Shadick has been a birding guide for nature tours around Saskatchewan and other parts of the country that have been organized by Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation, Nature Saskatchewan and the University of Saskatchewan Extension Division.
Stan is past president of Nature Saskatchewan as well as past president and current field trip chairman for the Saskatoon Nature Society. He is a co-editor of the reference publication “Birds of the Saskatoon Area” and contributed significantly to the recently published “Birds of Saskatchewan”. He is currently a regional coordinator for the Saskatchewan Breeding Bird Atlas project and helps with their bird identification workshops.
Stan regularly contributes sightings to e-bird and currently holds the e-bird record for the most bird species seen in Saskatchewan.
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.