April to early September
Morning Tours: 9 AM - 12 Noon
Afternoon Tours: 2 PM - 5 PM
Self-Drive Birding Tour
Situated 30 minutes from Saskatoon on the edge of the Strawberry Hills, Porter Lake attracts over 120 bird species over the course of the year. Colonies of Black-crowned Night Herons, Double-crested Cormorants and Bank Swallows have nested here in recent years.
Join us for a 3-hour leisurely driving tour. Great for a family outing. During the tour, your leader will identify the birds and set up a spotting scope allowing you to get the best view of the birds.
COVID SAFETY POLICY
- Clients must drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will drive in a separate vehicle. We will use hands-free cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Tour will be rescheduled at no additional cost if either the leader or any of the clients show any signs of illness (coughing, sneezing, sore throat, etc.).
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
Some of the birds regularly attracted to this lake include 15 duck species plus 5 species of grebes (Horned, Eared, Pied-billed, Red--necked and Western), White Pelican, American Avocet, Marbled Godwit, Willet, Spotted Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope, Franklin's Gull, Black Tern, Tree, Bank and Barn Swallows, Eastern Kingbird, Clay-colored, Vesper, Savannah, Nelson's and Song Sparrows, Western Meadowlark and Yellow-headed Blackbird.
Migrating shorebirds seen often during May, July or August include Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, Black-bellied Plover, yellowlegs, plus Baird's Least, White-rumped (May), Pectoral, Semipalmated and Solitary Sandpipers. Other special migrants include Ross's Goose, Tundra Swan, Bonaparte's Gull (fall) and Lapland Longspur (May).
Private Escorted Tour Fee: $190 for family groups of 1 to 5 persons on the day of your choice. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 3-hour tour. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour provided payment is made by e-transfer to LSWR@sasktel.net.
RESERVATIONS: Send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain coat, hat, walking shoes, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera or spotting scope (optional)
- Ensure your vehicle has a full gas tank
Tour may be combined with:
- Dancing Grouse Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour
- Sounds of the Night Nature Tour
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour
- Birding with a Purpose Workshops
- Birding by Ear Workshops
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops
Proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity.