Porter Lake Birding Tour ♿
April to early September
Morning Tours: 9 AM - 12 Noon
Afternoon Tours: 2 PM - 5 PM
Self-Drive Birding Tour
Estimated Return Driving Distance: 70 km
Where can I see Watera Birds near Saskatoon, Canada?
Porter Lake Birding Tour Description
Situated 30 minutes from Saskatoon on the edge of the Strawberry Hills, Porter Lake Important Bird Area attracts over 120 bird species over the course of the year. Colonies of Black-crowned Night Herons, Double-crested Cormorants and Bank Swallows have nested here in recent years.
Join us for a 3-hour leisurely driving tour. Great for a family outing. Both novice and experienced bird watchers are welcome.
During this Porter Lake Birding Tour, your leader will identify the birds and set up a spotting scope allowing you to get the best view of the birds. A loaner pair of binoculars may be available if requested.
♿ This tour is ideal for low-mobility clients because they may remain in their vehicle during this driving tour.
Porter Lake Birding through the Seasons
April: Porter Lake attracts numerous ducks in splendid breeding plumage.
May: In addition to the herons, ducks and cormorants, American Avocets and other shorebirds may be seen on the shore of Porter Lake.
June: Watch for baby ducks, shorebirds and other water birds.
July - September: The lake abounds with migrating ducks and shorebirds from the arctic.
Some of the birds regularly attracted to this lake include 15 duck species plus 5 species of grebes (Horned, Eared, Pied-billed, Red--necked and Western), White Pelican, American Avocet, Marbled Godwit, Willet, Spotted Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope, Franklin's Gull, Black Tern, Tree, Bank and Barn Swallows, Eastern Kingbird, Clay-colored, Vesper, Savannah, Nelson's and Song Sparrows, Western Meadowlark and Yellow-headed Blackbird.
Migrating shorebirds seen often during May, July or August include Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, Black-bellied Plover, yellowlegs, plus Baird's Least, White-rumped (May), Pectoral, Semipalmated and Solitary Sandpipers. Other special migrants include Ross's Goose, Tundra Swan, Bonaparte's Gull (fall) and Lapland Longspur (May).
Participants on these tours need to drive their own personal or rented vehicle. RVs and vehicles pulling trailers are permitted on private tours but are not recommended.
Owners of full electric vehicles should have sufficient range for this tour if they charge up at Saskatoon. Several Saskatoon hotels have charging stations.
Porter Lake Birding Tour Fee
Private Escorted Porter Lake Birding Tour Fee: CAD $190 (about US $140, £120 ) for a party of 1 to 4 persons on the day of your choice. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 3-hour tour. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
SAVE $40 if you can transport leader during tour from Saskatoon and back.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour provided payment is made by e-transfer to LSWR@sasktel.net.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 14 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 14 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
Porter Lake Birding Tour Reservation
RESERVATIONS: Send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Please email email@example.com if you do not hear back from us within 24 hours.
"We really appreciated your [Porter Lake Birding} tour last Wednesday; [Our young grandson] loved it!! He also told us he learned a lot. I believe you have inspired him to continue his passion of birding. Thanks again for the wonderful guiding!" DD August 6, 2021
Can I bring my pet dog on this tour?
Dogs are permitted on private tours provided they are kept on a leash. Dogs should not be let out of the car at birding stops.
Covid Safety Policy on Tours
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will usually drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases, if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle or drive client's vehicle
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
What to Bring
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain coat, hat, walking shoes, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera or spotting scope (optional)
- Ensure your vehicle has a full gas tank
Gift Certificates Available Now
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this Porter Lake Birding Tour or any of our other tours.
Other Birding and Bird Photography Tours
This Porter Lake Birding Tour may be taken in conjunction with any of the following summer birding tours.
- Saskatchewan Birding Hotspots Tour Series
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours from $195
- Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour - 2 hours
- Duck Mountain Birding Tour - eastern birds
- Eagle Creek and Hills Birding Tour
- Goose Lake Birding and Bird Photography Tour
- Last Mountain Lake Birding Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour - 4 hours $295
- Quill Lakes Birding Tour
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour - mid May - August
- Songbird Stroll
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Duck Mountain Park Group Birding Tour
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Park Group Birding Tour
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour
- Warbler Walking Tour
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops
Multiple Tours Discount
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.
Proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity.
Learn about special offers and new tours.
CLICK HERE to sign up for the monthly electronic Newsletter from Saskatoon Custom Bird Tours.