Radisson Lake IBA Birding Tour
April to September
Private Radisson Lake guided self-drive birding tours:
Daily April - September
Group Radisson Lake guided self-drive birding tour:
Saturday morning, May 6, 2023
Radisson Lake IBA Birding Tour Suggested Times:
From Saskatoon: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
From Radisson 8:45 AM - 11:15 AM
IDEAL DAY TOUR FOR RESIDENTS OR VISITORS TO
- North Battleford (45 m to Radisson)
- Prince Albert (1h 50m to Radisson)
Estimated Round-trip Driving Distance
Saskatoon: 145 km
North Battleford: 160 km
Prince Albert: 360 km
PUBLIC WASHROOMS: Located in Radisson gas station.
Radisson Lake IBA Birding Tour Description
Radisson Lake is designated as one of Canada's Important Bird Areas. This lake is home to large numbers of waterfowl and shorebirds. The surrounding grasslands and aspen forest provide nesting habitat for prairie and woodland birds.
Following a 45 minute highway drive from Saskatoon, we will drive around the lake stopping at various points watching for numerous species of ducks, grebes and shorebirds. Our waterbird list may include Horned and Eared Grebes, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Canvasback, Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead and Ruddy Duck. Black Terns, Ring-billed and Franklin's Gulls are normally found flying over the lake. Breeding shorebirds should include American Avocet, Willet, Killdeer, Wilson's Snipe, Wilson's Phalarope and Spotted Sandpiper.
During spring and fall migration season, Radisson Lake provides a temporary home to thousands of Tundra Swans, Snow Geese and Ross's Geese. If water levels are suitable, migratory shorebirds may be abundant here in May as well as July and August. Migratory shorebird species may include Baird's, Least, White-rumped, Pectoral and Stilt Sandpipers plus Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, dowitchers and plovers (Semipalmated, Golden and Black-bellied).
The endangered Piping Plover occasionally nests here. White-faced Ibis and Black-necked Stilts are sometimes found in the area. Whooping Cranes are sometimes seen here in September.
Prairie birds may include Swainson's Hawk, Western Kingbird, Loggerhead Shrike, Mountain Bluebird, Western Meadowlark, Sprague's Pipit, Clay-colored Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow and Savannah Sparrow.
Join us for this leisurely driving tour. Great for a family outing. Both novice and experienced birders are welcome. If requested, a pair of binoculars may be borrowed during tour.
During this Radisson Lake birding tour, your leader will identify the birds and set up a spotting scope allowing you to get the best view of the birds.
Participants on these tours need to drive their own personal or rented vehicle. RVs and vehicles pulling trailers are permitted on a private tour but not on group tours. Radisson Lake birding tour may be suitable for owners of full electric vehicles.
If you would like to share the costs of a group tour with other interested birders, then complete the Carpooling Section of the Registration Request Form below or email the tour name, your name, phone number and email address to email@example.com
Radisson Lake Birding Tour Fee
Private Escorted Radisson Lake Birding Tour Fee: $290 (about US$210, £175) per vehicle for a party of 1 to 4 persons on the day of your choice. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 4-hour tour. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
SAVE $50 if you have room in your vehicle to transport leader during tour from Saskatoon and back.
Combined Private Radisson Lake and Redberry Lake Birding Tour Fee: $690 (about US$500, £420) per vehicle for a party of 1 to 4 persons on the day of your choice. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 9-hour tour. Meals, transportation, park entrance fee and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
SAVE $100 if you have room in your vehicle to transport leader during tour from Saskatoon and back.
May 6, 2023 Group Radisson Lake Birding Tour Fee: CA$190 (about US$140, £115) per vehicle for a party of 1 – 4 persons in a single vehicle. Taxes included.
Fee includes guiding services only for the 4 hour trip. The fee is the total amount for your party (not a per person fee). Client supplies their own transportation in personal or rented vehicle. Meals, transportation, park entrance fee and accommodation are NOT included. Your vehicle will be one of at most 6 vehicles in this group convoy.
SAVE $50. If you have space to transport leader in your personal or rented vehicle during tour from Saskatoon and back, then deduct $50 from the tour fee.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour provided payment is made by e-transfer to LSWR@sasktel.net.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 14 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 14 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
Reservations for Radisson Lake Birding Tour
RESERVATIONS: Submit the form below or send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
After you submit the form, we will email you payment instructions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not hear back from us within 24 hours.
Radisson Lake Birding Tour Guide
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Radisson Lake Important Bird Area
Radisson Lake is recognized as an Important Bird Area in Canada by BirdLIfe International.
- Thousands of Swans and geese stop here during migration.
- Grassland birds are present near the lake in summer.
- Many shorebirds nest here.
- Piping Plovers have nested here when shoreline habitat is suitable.
- Whooping Cranes sometimes stop here on migration.
What to Bring
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain coat, hat, walking shoes, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera or spotting scope (optional)
- Ensure your vehicle has a full gas tank
Other Birding Tours
This Radisson Lake Birding Tour may be taken in conjunction with any of the following summer birding tours.
- Saskatchewan Birding Hotspots Tour Series
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours from $195
- Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour - 2 hours
- Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Hiking Tour
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Park Group Birding Tour
- Donna Birkmaier and Hyde Parks Birding and Walking Tour
- Duck Mountain Park Group Birding Tour
- Eagle Creek and Hills Birding Tour
- Goose Lake Birding and Bird Photography Tour
- Last Mountain Lake Birding Tour
- Pike Lake Birding Tour
- Porter Lake Birding Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour
- Redberry Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour
- Quill Lakes Birding Tour
- Songbird Stroll
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Warbler Walking Tour
- Weir Birding and Walking Tour
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
Multiple Tours Discount
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.
Learn about special offers and new tours.
CLICK HERE to sign up for the monthly electronic Newsletter from Saskatoon Custom Bird Tours.
Gift Certificates Available Now
This Radisson Lake Birding Tour makes an excellent birthday gift, anniversary gift, graduation gift, Mother's Day gift, Father's Day gift, retirement gift or special gift for a birder, birdwatcher or anyone interested in nature.
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
Proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity.
Covid Safety Policy on Tours
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will normally drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle.