WILD RAPTOR TOUR
NEXT EVENT: TBA [email email@example.com if interested]
Self-Drive Escorted Tour
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
BOOK NOW - PAY LATER
You may reserve your 2022 tour now and not pay until February 1, 2022.
The Raptor Migration is underway.
Join Stan Shadick and other fellow raptor enthusiasts for a 2 - 3 hour driving tour in search of wild raptors near Saskatoon.
For the September 12 tour, we expect to find numerous Swainson's Hawks. This large buteo breeds in open country near Saskatoon. They are now feeding and gathering into groups to prepare for their incredible long migration south to their wintering grounds in Argentina. Most individuals occur in the light colour morph but we will watch for any rare dark morph birds.
We should also encounter several Red-tailed Hawks, another buteo that breeds in well-treed areas surrounding Saskatoon. Individuals in this species occur with a wide variety of plumages. Although most birds have reddish tails, some have brown tails and some have mainly white tails. Most have light coloured bellies but we might see some dark morphs with very dark bellies.
During this driving tour, we also have a chance of spotting any of the following less common raptor species:
- Turkey Vulture
- Northern Harrier
- Sharp-shinned Hawk
- Cooper's Hawk
- Bald Eagle
- Broad-winged Hawk
- American Kestrel
- Peregrine Falcon
We will travel in a convoy of no more than 8 vehicles (including leader) along back-country gravel roads so that we can safely stop to view any raptors we encounter. We will likely use Whatsapp on your cellphone to communicate between vehicles during the tour. Meeting location details sent to registered guests.
This tour makes an excellent birthday gift, anniversary gift, graduation gift for a birder, birdwatcher or anyone interested in nature.
Fee: $95 per group of 1 - 4 persons. All members of your group must travel in a single personal or rented vehicle in the car convoy. Registration limited to 7 groups. Because all proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitaition charity, you will receive a tax receipt for 50% of the fee.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 306-652-5975 and provide your names, email address and phone number.
- Payment required at time of registration using either option described below.
- E-transfer. Payment may be made by e-transfer payable to Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation and emailed to
LSWR@sasktel.net.Please use "raptors" as the answer to the security question.
- Credit Card. Please phone us at 306-652-5975 if you prefer to use a credit card.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full Covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will usually drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up. Isogel normally available on tours.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases, if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle or drive client's vehicle.
Tour Leader: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour leader.
Birding Tours: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.