Quill Lakes Birding Tour
Full Day Tour from late April – August
Self-Drive Escorted Birding Tour
WHERE TO SEE BIRDS AT QUILL LAKES, SASKATCHEWAN?
QUILL LAKES BIRDING TOUR DESCRIPTION
Join Stan Shadick for a guided private tour of the best birding hotspots at the Quill Lakes Important Bird Area. Trip starts in Saskatoon but can meet up with visitors from Regina, Yorkton, Prince Albert and other parts of the province. A high quality spotting scope is available for obtaining the best possible views of the birds.
The Quill Lakes Birding Tour will visit the best place in Saskatchewan for observing Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons and Black-crowned Night Herons as well as many ducks, gulls and other water birds. Nesting Bald Eagles are sometimes seen searching for food.
Rare migrating Trumpeter Swans are often found on Quill Lakes during the month of May. During the peak of the shorebird migration - north in May and south in July - August, about 200 thousand individuals have been counted in a single day! During this time, several percent of the world populations of White-rumped, Baird’s, Least and Stilt Sandpipers occur here along with significant numbers of Hudsonian Godwits, dowitchers and American Avocets.
Originally composed of 3 separate lakes (Big Quill, Little Quill and Mud Lakes), recent high water levels have merged the Quill Lakes into 1 great “sea”, the largest saline lake in Canada!
- Herons and Egrets occur in greatest numbers at Quill Lakes from late April through July.
- Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knots, White-rumped Sandpipers and Golden-Plovers occur mainly in late May.
- Other migratory shorebirds are numerous during mid to late May plus July through mid-August.
- High concentrations of ducks, grebes, cormorants and pelicans are present from late April to August.
- Tundra Swans occur in late April and a few Trumpeter Swans in mid-May.
The full-day (8-hour) tour will visit the best birding hotspots on the south side of the lake.
An optional evening extension allows us to circumnavigate the lakes and additionally visit Clair Lake plus look for prairie species at the grasslands and other hotspots on the north side of the Quills.
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain jacket, sun hat, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera (optional)
COVID SAFETY POLICY
- Clients must drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate with each other during the tour.
- Tour will be rescheduled if either the leader or any of the clients show any signs of illness (coughing, sneezing, sore throat, etc.).
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
QUILL LAKES TOUR FEE
Full Day Tour Fee: CA$590 (about US$470) for groups of 1 – 4 persons Taxes included.
Fee includes guiding services only for 8 hour trip. Client supplies their own transportation in personal or rented vehicle. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included.
Optional Evening Extension Fee: CA$190 adds 3 additional hours of birding to the regular tour.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 14 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 14 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
All proceeds support the work of Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity. https://livingskywildliferehabilitation.org/
RESERVATIONS for Quill Lakes Birding Tour: Send your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
If you do not hear back from us within 24 hours, please email email@example.com
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full Covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will usually drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up. Isogel normally available on tours.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases, if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle or drive client's vehicle.
HOW TO GET TO SASKATOON
Air: Saskatoon International Airport (YXE) is served by Air Canada, Westjet, and their partners United and Delta.
Train: Saskatoon's Train Station is served by Via Rail's Canadian train serving Toronto, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper and Vancouver.
Car: Saskatoon is located on Canada's Yellowhead cross-country highway plus 6 other major highways connecting with all cities in Canada and USA. If you drive, you do not need to rent a car for our tours.
This Quill Lakes Birding Tour may be taken in conjunction with any of the following summer birding tours.
- Saskatchewan Birding Hotspots Tour Series June 7 - 20, 2022
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour - 3 hours from $195
- Chaplin Shorebirds Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour - 2 hours
- Duck Mountain Birding Tour - eastern birds June 7 - 10
- Porter Lake Birding Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour - 4 hours $295
- Last Mountain Lake Birding Tour
- Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour
- Songbird Stroll
- Sunday Morning Guided Bird Walk
- Duck Mountain Park Group Birding Tour - June 7 - 10
- Cypress Hills - Grasslands Park Group Birding Tour - June 12 - 17
- Prince Albert National Park Birding Tour - July 3 - 5
- Warbler Walking Tour
MULTIPLE TOURS DISCOUNT
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.