Sounds of the Night Nature Tour
Tentative Date: Friday, April 15, 2022 8:00 PM – 11:30 PM
Self-Drive Birding Tour
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
BOOK NOW - PAY LATER
You may reserve your 2022 tour now and not pay until February 1, 2022.
TOUR DESCRIPTION - Sounds of the Night Birding Tour
Join Stan Shadick as he leads a small group of nature enthusiasts on a night driving trip along the backroads of Nisbet Forest near Duck Lake. During this Sounds of the Night Birding tour, we will make frequent stops near woods and ponds to listen for the hooting of Great Horned Owls and the whistles of Northern Saw-whet owls. We may also hear the drumming of a Ruffed Grouse or the whinny of a Wilson’s Snipe. Other sounds might include the duck-like calls of Wood Frogs, the comb-like call of Boreal Chorus Frogs or the howling of a pack of coyotes. Who knows what other sounds we might discover!
Tour begins at 8 pm at the north end of Saskatoon and returns about 11:30 pm.
Possible Postponement. If the predicted weather (wind, rain) or road conditions are unsuitable, this Sounds of the Night tour will be postponed to the next suitable evening so that we have the best chance of hearing distant sounds. Participants should ensure that they are available to join the tour on any of the subsequent 5 nights (April 25 – 29) in case it needs to be postponed.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full Covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will usually drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up. Isogel normally available on tours.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy. In certain cases, if requested, leader may be willing to ride in client's vehicle or drive client's vehicle.
TOUR FEE - Sounds of the Night Birding Tour
Tour Fee: CA$50 per person or CA$85 for your group of 2 – 5 persons travelling in your single personal vehicle. Fee covers leadership only. Accommodation, transportation, meals and other expenses are not included. This tour will be limited to a maximum of 5 groups so that our convoy will contain no more than 6 vehicles. All proceeds support the work of Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity.
Tax Receipt: The person paying for your tour will receive a tax receipt for 50% of the amount paid.
RESERVATIONS: Send us your full name(s), mailing address and email address and we will send you payment options
If you do not hear back from us within 24 hours, please email email@example.com
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
Click here to listen to the sound of the Northern Saw-whet owl which is one of the birds you may hear during this Sounds of the Night Nature Tour.
HOW TO GET TO SASKATOON
Air: Saskatoon International Airport (YXE) is served by Air Canada, Westjet, and their partners United and Delta.
Train: Saskatoon's Train Station is served by Via Rail's Canadian train serving Toronto, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper and Vancouver.
Car: Saskatoon is located on Canada's Yellowhead cross-country highway plus 6 other major highways connecting with all cities in Canada and USA. If you drive, you do not need to rent a car for our tours.