Weir Birding and Walking Tour ♿
January - April: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
May - August: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
or 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
November - December: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
WHERE CAN YOU VIEW PELICANS UP CLOSE?
WEIR BIRDING TOUR DESCRIPTION
Use our powerful spotting scope to obtain close-up views of water birds swimming on the river near Saskatoon's weir. Then take a walk along the riverbank trails where your guide will identify a variety of songbirds.
Both novice and experienced bird watchers are welcome. A loaner pair of binoculars may be available if requested.
In summer months view white pelicans fishing in small groups on the river below the weir. These pelicans have the largest wingspan of any bird in Canada. Above the weir look for Canada Geese and their cute goslings where they nest on Goose Island. Common Terns, Double-crested Cormorants and various ducks occur here. Yellow Warblers and Clay-colored Sparrows sing frequently from the wooded trails.
Additional migrating warblers and other songbirds may be seen in late May and late August / early September.
In winter months, Common Goldeneye and other kinds of ducks are often found below the weir. Chickadees and woodpeckers often are seen along the riverbank maple trees.
♿ This Weir Birding tour is ideal for low-mobility clients from April - September because they may use a wheel-chair on the wide and fairly level paved Meewasin trail that runs near the river.
COVID SAFETY POLICY ON TOURS
- Your tour leader is fully vaccinated. For everyone's health and safety, participants must bring a paper copy showing their personal proof of full covid vaccination.
- Clients must normally drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle or take a taxi. The leader will normally drive in a separate vehicle.
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
- This policy may change when public health orders change or when Covid case numbers decrease.
- Please contact us before booking tour if you have any special requests with regard to this policy.
FEE: Groups of 1 – 4 people are charged a guiding fee of $130 for private guided birding tours at Saskatoon's weir. Advance registration required.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds less a $50 administration fee will be given if cancellation notice received 14 days before date of tour.
No refunds if cancellation notice received less than 14 days before date of tour unless another client takes your place.
Step-on Guide Service available for bus tours.
Larger group tours available on request.
RESERVATIONS for Weir Birding and Walking Tour: Please complete and submit the following form or email us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Payment may be made by e-transfer payable to Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation and emailed to LSWR@sasktel.net
All fees support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation.
If you do not hear back from us within 24 hours, then please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 306-652-5975.
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE
This Weir Birding and Walking tour makes an excellent birthday gift, anniversary gift, graduation gift or special gift for a birder, birdwatcher or anyone interested in nature.
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Weir Birding and Walking Tour may be combined with:
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour
- Chaplin Shorebird Tour
- Chappell Marsh Birding and Hiking Tour
- Chief Whitecap Park Birding and Hiking Tour
- Donna Birkmaier and Hyde Parks Birding and Walking Tour
- Eagle Creek and Hills Birding Tour
- Goose Lake Birding and Bird Photography Tour
- Last Mountain Lake Bird Sanctuary Tour
- Pike Lake Birding Tour
- Porter Lake Birding Tour
- Prairie Lakes Birding Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Souris River Birding Tour
- Van Scoy Lakes Birding Tour - 6 hours
- Camp Wolf Willow Birding Tour
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops.
MULTIPLE TOURS DISCOUNT
Can't decide which tour to take?
Check out our multiple tours discount described here.
This weir across the South Saskatchewan River at Saskatoon was constructed as a depression-era relief project. Click here for details.