MARCH 21 - MAY 15
Morning Tours: 9 AM - 12 Noon
Afternoon Tours: 2 PM - 5 PM
Self-Drive Birding Tour
Experience the sights and songs of birdlife during springtime on the prairies.
Join us for a 3-hour leisurely driving tour along back roads near Saskatoon to look for newly arriving birds as they return to nest in our region. Great for a family outing. During the tour, your leader will identify the birds and discuss their fascinating natural history.
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain coat, hat, walking shoes, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera or spotting scope (optional)
- Ensure your vehicle has a full gas tank
COVID SAFETY POLICY
- Clients must drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will drive in a separate vehicle. We will use hands-free cell phones to communicate between each other during the tour.
- Tour will be rescheduled at no additional cost or refunded if either the leader or any of the clients show any signs of illness (coughing, sneezing, sore throat, etc.).
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
We expect to find different birds depending upon the date of the tour. Some of the special birds we hope to find include:
Late March: Canada Goose, Bald Eagle, Mountain Bluebird, Horned Lark, Snowy Owl, American Tree Sparrow.
Early April: Snow Goose, Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Shrike, Mountain Bluebird, Horned Lark, American Tree Sparrow, Western Meadowlark.
Late April: Snow Goose, Cackling Goose, Ross's Goose, White-fronted Goose, Tundra Swan, ducks, grebes, Sandhill Crane, Killdeer, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Mountain Bluebird, Horned Lark, Western Meadowlark, Red-winged Blackbird.
Early May: Tundra Swan, ducks, grebes, Mourning Dove, Sandhill Crane, American Avocet, Willet, Swainson's Hawk, Loggerhead Shrike, Tree Swallow, Mountain Bluebird, Savannah Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Western Meadowlark.
Private Escorted Tour Fee: $190 for family groups of 1 to 5 persons on the day of your choice. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 3-hour tour. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
Sunday Afternoon Multi-Group Escorted Tour Fee: $90 per person. Maximum 9 participants. Unlike the above private tours, this option may have several families travelling in a convoy with each family in their own vehicle. This option available only from 2 pm to 5 pm on March 28, April 4, April 11, April 25, May 2, May 9. Fee covers expert guiding services during the 3-hour tour. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included. Taxes included.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour provided payment is made by e-transfer to LSWR@sasktel.net.
RESERVATIONS: Send us your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.
Tour Guide: Stan Shadick. Click for more information about your tour guide.
Tour may be combined with:
- Dancing Grouse Tour
- Prairie Grasslands Birding Tour
- Sounds of the Night Nature Tour
- Beaver Creek Birding and Hiking Tour
- Birding with a Purpose Workshops
- Birding by Ear Workshops
Other Tours and Workshops: Click here to see a complete list of our upcoming tours and workshops
Proceeds support Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity.