Quill Lakes Birding Tour
Full Day Tour from late April – August
Self-Drive Escorted Birding Tour
GIFT CERTIFICATES: Click here for information about purchasing a gift certificate for this tour or any of our other tours.
Join Stan Shadick for a guided private tour of the best birding hotspots at the Quill Lakes Important Bird Area. Trip starts in Saskatoon but can meet up with visitors from Regina, Yorkton, Prince Albert and other parts of the province. A high quality spotting scope is available for obtaining the best possible views of the birds.
The Quill Lakes Birding Tour will visit the best place in Saskatchewan for observing Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons and Black-crowned Night Herons as well as many ducks, gulls and other water birds. Nesting Bald Eagles are sometimes seen searching for food.
Rare migrating Trumpeter Swans are often found on the lake during the month of May. During the peak of the shorebird migration - north in May and south in July - August, about 200 thousand individuals have been counted in a single day! During this time, several percent of the world populations of White-rumped, Baird’s, Least and Stilt Sandpipers occur here along with significant numbers of Hudsonian Godwits, dowitchers and American Avocets.
Originally composed of 3 separate lakes (Big Quill, Little Quill and Mud Lakes), recent high water levels have merged the lakes into 1 great “sea”, the largest saline lake in Canada!
- Herons and Egrets occur in greatest numbers from late April through July.
- Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knots, White-rumped Sandpipers and Golden-Plovers occur mainly in late May.
- Other migratory shorebirds are numerous during mid to late May plus July through mid-August.
- High concentrations of ducks, grebes, cormorants and pelicans are present from late April to August.
- Tundra Swans occur in late April and a few Trumpeter Swans in mid-May.
The full-day (8-hour) tour will visit the best birding hotspots on the south side of the lake.
An optional evening extension allows us to circumnavigate the lakes and additionally visit Clair Lake plus look for prairie species at the grasslands and other hotspots on the north side of the Quills.
Suggested items to Bring:
- Clothes suitable for the weather (rain jacket, sun hat, etc.)
- Water bottle
- Binoculars and camera (optional)
COVID SAFETY POLICY
- Clients must drive themselves in their own personal or rented vehicle. The leader will drive in a separate vehicle. We will use cell phones to communicate with each other during the tour.
- Tour will be rescheduled if either the leader or any of the clients show any signs of illness (coughing, sneezing, sore throat, etc.).
- Please wear a mask and maintain physical 2 meter distancing when walking outside or viewing birds through the spotting scope that I will set up.
Full Day Tour Fee: CA$590 (about US$470) for groups of 1 – 4 persons Taxes included.
Fee includes guiding services only for 8 hour trip. Client supplies their own transportation in personal or rented vehicle. Meals, transportation and accommodation are NOT included.
Optional Evening Extension Fee: CA$190 adds 3 additional hours of birding to the regular tour.
TAX RECEIPT: A tax receipt for 50% of the tour fee will be issued to the person paying for the tour.
All proceeds support the work of Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation charity. https://livingskywildliferehabilitation.org/
RESERVATIONS for Quill Lakes Birding Tour: Send your full name(s), mailing address, email address and requested tour dates.